In this blog, we are going to be running through everything you need to know regarding taxing and insuring your moped without a logbook, as well as taking you through how to order a new one.

So without further ado, let’s get into it!

What is a vehicle logbook and why is it important?

All in all, your motorcycle logbook is so important as it proves your ownership of the two-wheeler. In your logbook you will find all of the relevant details regarding your bike including:

  • Name & Address of registered vehicle owner
  • The date the bike was registered
  • Number of previous owners
  • Make & Model
  • Colour & Engine size

However, the V5C or logbook is also important in the event that you want to sell your bike or if you want to buy another used bike. If you buy a motorcycle or scooter second-hand from someone without a V5C (logbook), then this may be a good sign that the bike has outstanding finance on it, or it has been stolen.

How to tax a moped without a logbook

Regardless of whether your bike's logbook (V5C) has been lost, stolen, or destroyed - you must order a replacement before you can tax your two-wheeler.

Alternatively, if you have just recently bought the bike, to tax it you will need to have the green ‘new keeper’ slip to hand.

If you are unsure what a green 'new keeper' slip is, it is a part of the V5C which is passed over to the new keeper of the bike.

How to request a new logbook for your moped

A new logbook will cost you £25 and according to the official GOV.UK website should be with you in 1-2 weeks after completing the application. To order a replacement you will need to:

  • Apply online
  • DVLA Webchat
  • Call on 0300 790 6802
  • Via post at Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR

What do I need to order a new V5C?

Before you attempt to order a new/replacement V5C, make sure you have the following details to hand:

  • Registration Number
  • Your name & postcode registered on the original V5C
  • VIN (vehicle identification number) or chassis number of your bike

*Please note that if any of your details have changed since losing/damaging your original logbook, you will not be able to submit your application on the phone and will need to fill out the form online.

How to insure a moped without a logbook

If you haven’t got a log book insuring your moped can be tricky as normal motor vehicle insurance policies will require road tax, and you can only set up road tax with a log book. There are caveats for this such as if the vehicle is declared as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice).

If you’re looking to insure a moped that you don’t own (i.e. a friend or family member’s vehicle), you won’t need to be named on the logbook to insure it – but that’s as long as the logbook is in their name (though this does vary between insurers), and typically as long as the vehicle is not insured elsewhere at the same time.

This will vary between insurers so it is always important to double check with your chosen provider. However, if your insurer has given you the green light, you will need to make sure you know all of the bike's information.

This information will include:

  • Registration Mark of the Bike
  • Make and model
  • Value
  • Current odometer reading

If you are refused insurance by a provider for not owning or having the logbook, it is then imperative to arrange to receive the logbook, as without it you will not be able to proceed.

It is very important to remember that you can only ride the bike once you have a minimum of third-party insurance in place. Failure to have valid insurance will result in you either receiving fines or riding bans. So don’t put off sorting out the V5C and your insurance policy these things are essential to ride on the road.


Can you transfer ownership of a moped without a logbook?

Whilst you can request a change of ownership on a moped or scooter without the logbook, purchasing a moped without a V5C or logbook should seriously be reconsidered and approached with extreme caution.

As we have mentioned, a moped sold without a logbook may be a good indicator that the two-wheeler has been stolen. So while the logbook is not complete proof of ownership, it is a sign that this purchase will be a legitimate sale.

To transfer the owner details, you will need to either call the DVLA on 0300 790 6802 or by post at Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR.

How do I get a V5 for my moped?

In order to obtain a new V5C for your moped, you will need to get in contact with the DVLA. You can do this by:

Where can I find my V5C number without a logbook?

Unfortunately, the only way to find your V5C number is through your logbook. If you have either lost or had your logbook stolen and need your V5C number to hand, you will need to order a replacement for £25 via the DVLA website.

Insure your scooter or moped with Lexham!

So there you have it, I hope you enjoyed my full rundown of everything you need to know regarding insuring and taxing your two-wheeler without the logbook.

Last but not least, if you do have your very own scooter or moped to insure - make sure to get a quote direct with Lexham!