Travelling in your brand-new motorhome or campervan is an exciting thought and the urge to jump in and just explore is out of this world - however before you do anything, you must remember to register and tax it, just like a car.

Over recent years, road tax rates for motorhomes and campervans have changed due to several policy changes, so in this blog, we are going to be running through everything you could possibly need to know about the most recent road tax and policy changes.

So without further ado, let’s get into it, shall we?

‎Road tax changes: increased VED for motorhomes and campervans

As of 12 March 2020, the annual vehicle excise duty (VED) for new motorhomes and campervans (type approved M1SA) was set at a flat rate of £265, which rose to £270 from 1 April 2020.

These new road tax rules for motorhomes came as a relief to owners and buyers in the UK because, in September 2019, EU regulation 2018/1832 was transposed into UK law. This regulation required that all new sales of Light Commercial Vehicles (LVCs) were subject to type approval and were required to provide a vehicle CO2 emissions figure.

As of 1 September 2019, all-new motorhomes and campervans in category M1SP were taxed based on their emissions and as a result, motorhomes and campervans that were registered after 1st September 2019 had risen from £265 per year to £2,135 in the first year – a shocking 700% increase.

Fast forward to 12th March 2020, if you purchase a new motorhome or campervan (type approved M1SA) you are no longer required to provide the CO2 emissions figure when registering and instead will be included in the Private/Light Goods VED class or the Private HGV VED class.

This means that at the time of writing, all new motorhome and campervan (type approved M1SA) owners who registered their vehicles before 1 September 2020 and after 12 March 2021 won’t have to spend £2,135 on road tax. Unfortunately, however, those who registered their vehicles between September and March are unable to claim back the extra money they have paid despite the road tax policy being overturned.

Motorhome parked at the side of the road

‎‎How much is road tax for a motorhome and campervan?

When it comes to calculating road tax for motorhomes and campervans is slightly more complex in comparison to cars as there are several more factors that need to be considered. While there are differences between motorhomes and campervans, road tax specifications are the same.

Currently, the rate of motorhome and campervan road tax is largely based on the vehicle’s revenue weight (also known as maximum or gross vehicle weight). Other factors which often affect road tax rates include the vehicle's age, emissions, and engine capacity.

However, if your motorhome or campervan was registered between 1st April 2017-11th March 2020, you will be paying a different tax rate if both of the following factors apply to your vehicle:

  • Included in the M1SP Category
  • CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’

It goes without saying that calculating motorhome and campervan road tax can be tricky. To help you work out how much road tax you should pay, here is an overview of motorhome and campervan road tax rates, organised by category…

‎Classic motorhomes and campervans:

If your vintage campervan or classic motorhome was either built or first registered at least 40 years ago, you will be pleased to know - you are exempt from paying road tax!

However, it is worth noting that even if you don’t have to pay tax, you will still need to ‘tax’ your motorhome or campervan by applying for a vehicle tax exemption.

‎Motorhomes and campervans weighing under 3,500kg:

Vehicles that have a revenue weight of 3500kg or less are taxed as private light goods vehicles (PLGV). If your motorhome or campervan is a PLGV and has an engine size of less than 1549cc, your road tax rate will be £170 for 12 months, however, if the engine size is more than 1549cc, your road tax rate will be £280 for 12 months.

Motorhomes and campervans weighing over 3,500kg:

Vehicles that have a revenue weight that’s over 3500kg are taxed as private heavy goods vehicles (PHGV) at a rate of £165 for 12 months.

Euro 4 Motorhomes and Campervans:

If your vehicle is Euro 4 compliant, has a revenue weight of less than 3,500kg, and was registered between 1st March 2003-31st December 2010 - your annual road tax cost will be £140.

‎‎Euro 5 Motorhomes and Campervans:

If you own a campervan or motorhome that is Euro 5 compliant, has a revenue weight of less than 3,500kg, and was registered between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2010, your annual road tax cost will be £140.

Campervan travelling on the road

Remember you also need Insurance!

As well as taxing your motorhome or campervan, it’s essential to insure your vehicle. Lexham offers a variety of dedicated motorhome and campervan insurance policies to suit you and your vehicle - so whether you own a classic camper or a brand new motorhome, we’re here to help you find the right cover. 

Related article

Motorhome and Campervan FAQs

We’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions to cover all of these worries keeping you up at...

Read more